Welcome to the Mathematics Department
Mathematics is essential for everyday life and understanding our world. It is also essential to science, technology and engineering, and the advances in these fields on which our economic future depends. It is therefore fundamentally important to ensure that all pupils have the best possible mathematics education. They need to understand the mathematics they learn so they can be creative in solving problems, as well as being confident and fluent in developing and using the mathematical skills so valued in the world of industry and higher education.
- To implement the school vision of humanity, equality, aspiration and respect.
- To set challenging targets with high expectations for all pupils.
- To offer a variety of approaches to teaching and learning to engage and motivate pupils and demand their active participation.
- To smooth the transition for pupils between Key Stages and ensure progression in teaching and learning throughout their time at Waverley School.
- To ensure all pupils regardless of ability make two level progress between key stages.
- To explore enrichment opportunities outside the curriculum to enhance pupils’ enjoyment of mathematics.
- To prepare pupils for the further study of mathematics after their time at Waverley School.
These aims will be achieved through a distinctive departmental ethos which may be summarised as “Together, we can ensure all succeed.”
This ethos entails treating all pupils as partners in learning and faculty teachers working together as a team to develop support each other to give all pupils the best possible experience at Waverley School. The leadership role of pupils will be developed and peer teaching and learning will be encouraged. Pupils will become better independent learners and will become reflective of their own needs by our development of a culture of self- assessment. The quality of learning and teaching will continue to be improved by further developing individuals and remembering that we are all learners and that we should strive to continuously improve our own mathematical as well as learning and teaching knowledge.