Students study Science throughout Year 7, 8, and 9 (until November of the academic year). Within Year 9 (the foundation curriculum year), students either continue to study Triple Science or Combined Science.
KS3/4 - Year 9, 10, & 11
Our challenging and engaging course offers a three year programme where pupils explore their ideas through investigations and class teaching to understand the concepts of the effects of forces on an objects motion, the effect of electrolysis of a compound and the products that are formed, the uses of bacteria in the production of insulin-all of these examples enable pupils to develop and explore how Science works.
Through inquiry based learning, pupils will have the opportunity to use practical skill to investigate scientific phenomena of the natural world.
Pupils will understand the social, ethical and economical implications of Science.
Modules studied for Biology are:
- Topic 1 – Key concepts in biology,
- Topic 2 – Cells and control,
- Topic 3 – Genetics,
- Topic 4 – Natural selection and genetic modification,
- Topic 5 – Health, disease and the development of medicines
- Topic 6 – Plant structures and their functions,
- Topic 7 – Animal coordination, control and homeostasis,
- Topic 8 – Exchange and transport in animals,
- Topic 9 – Ecosystems and material cycles
Modules studied for Chemistry are:
- Topic 1 – States of Matter,
- Topic 2 - Methods of Separating and purifying Substances,
- Topic 3 - 4 – Atomic Structure & the Periodic Table,
- Topic 5 – 7 – Ionic Bonding, Covalent Bonding, Types of Substance,
- Topic 8 – Acids and Alkalis
- Topic 9 – Calculations Involving Masses,
- Topic 10 – 13 – Electrolytic Processes, Obtaining and Using Metals, Reversible Reactions and Equilibria, Transition Metals, Alloys and Corrosion.
- Topic 12 - 16 – Quantitative Analysis, Dynamic Equilibria, Calculations Involving Volumes of Gases, Chemical Cells and Fuel Cells
- Topic 17 - 19 – Groups in the Periodic Table, Rates of Reaction, Heat Energy Changes in Chemical Reactions,
- Topic 20 - 21 - Fuels, Earth and Atmospheric Science
- Topic 22 - 24 - Hyrdrocabons, alcohols and carboxylic acids, polymers
- Topic 25 - 26 - Qualitative analysis: tests for ions, bulk and surface properties of matter including nanoparticles.
Modules studied for Physics are:
- Topic 1 – Motion
- Topic 2 – Motion and forces,
- Topic 3 – Conservation of energy,
- Topic 4 – Waves,
- Topic 5 – Light and the electromagnetic spectrum,
- Topic 6 – Radioactivity
- Topic 7 - Astronomy
- Topic 8 – Energy - Forces doing work,
- Topic 9 - Forces and their effects
- Topic 10 – Electricity and circuits,
- Topic 11 - Static electricity
- Topic 12 - Magnetism and the motor effect,
- Topic 13 - Electromagnetic induction,
- Topic 13 – Particle model,
- Topic 14 – Forces and matter